Stop Illegal Sand Mining in the Illovo River
96 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
96 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
Lower Illovo residents note with concern that there are a number of operators mining sand in the Illovo River. We believe that not all of the operators have permits. Their combined activities present the following problems:
- The volume of heavy duty truck traffic on the roads has increased. In addition to this, some trucks are speeding. All these factors are endangering the community.
- Of particular concern are the trucks operating on main road during the night from 18h00 to 04h00 on certain days of the week. Many of these trucks are registered in Mpumalanga. We believe it is illegal to operate after 17h00. There can be 30 to 60 trucks per night which disturbs the residents at home with excessive noise.
- The narrow gauge metal bridge across the Illovo River is being destroyed.
- Equipment is often abandoned in the river with potential of pollution
- The areas being mined are NOT being rehabilitated.
- Miners are making their own roads in ecologically sensitive areas. Where are the Environmental Impact assessments?
- The river is being ruined with no control or oversight by authorities.
- There are long term adverse effects on the flora and fauna in the area
We appeal to the authorities to enforce the law: Department of Mineral Resources, eThekwini City Manager, Metro Police, Isipingo