Say NO to rent control in Montclair, NJ
Dear Mayor Jackson and Council members,
The Montclair City Council is considering imposing RENT CONTROL on all non-owner-occupied apartments in Montclair.
For the reasons stated below we are opposed to this proposal:
- The Town Council is overriding TWO referendums in which we said NO to rent control.
- The Town Council is not only doing this over our objection, they are doing it with little to no input from Montclarions themselves.
- Universally, studies have shown that rather than help those in need, Rent Control leads to:
- Decreased affordability for renters
- Decreased supply of housing for renters
- Increased taxes for ALL town residents
- Lower property values for ALL property types
- The pending Ordinance transforms a community of inclusion into a community of division.
- Many people who do not need relief will be subsidized anyway.
- The inevitable reduction of new constriction and improvements will limit this source of increased revenue.
- Rent Control will reduce incentive for rental property owners to maintain or improve properties.
- The result is deterioration of once beautiful properties and urban blight.
- Large increases in property taxes have and will continue to cause homeowners to leave Montclair.
- The Mayor and Council are meant to be the voice of all the people and the expression of our will collectively.
To the Mayor and Town Council of Montclair:
I do not want Rent Control in Montclair