SAVE PATRIOT AVENUE IN PEQUOT LAKES, MN
The City of Pequot Lakes is planning to spend $1.7 million to expand Trailside Park. This plan includes closing Patriot Avenue.
This is happening NOW:
- As early as May 1, Patriot Avenue will close, permanently
- Traffic will be re-routed to Government Drive (Lucky’s) and Front Street (Thurlows)
- $1.7million will be “borrowed” from the 371 Bypass Funds MNDOT will be giving the city for the purpose of maintaining roads, formerly owned by the state/county
- Tax payers will feel the effects of paying back the loan.
- Businesses were not consulted
- Citizens are surprised by the extent of the project and the price
We are petitioning that the City of Pequot Lakes HALT this project.
The city believes they are doing this for the economic revival of struggling businesses, but business owners say this is the last thing needed. Additionally, it is astonishing how few people understand the extent of this project or how much it costs.
We the undersigned believe:
- Patriot Avenue should remain open. Rerouting traffic to Front Street and Government drive is a safety issue and will cause congestion.
- The City of Pequot Lakes needs to be fiscally responsible and only spend money that has been donated or raised for this project, not borrow from our road maintenance fund
- The impact of the 371 Bypass needs to be fully understood before further construction occurs
- The people who love this town need to understand more project details and have a voice (perhaps with a vote) before further movement on this project.
If you agree, sign this petition and forward to EVERYONE!