Main Street Sidewalks: Let the Town Decide
We, the undersigned residents of the Town of Norwell, Massachusetts, petition the Board of Selectmen to vote in favor of placing an article on the Warrant for Special Town Meeting for a debt exclusion override to fund the installation of a sidewalk along Main Street from South Street to Town Center.
The project will provide the following benefits:
- A safe, granite curbed sidewalk with a two feet strip of grass and a 5 foot wide paved sidewalk along the South Side of Main Street from South Street to Town Center.
- Mailboxes would not be impacted as they can be put on the grass strip facing the normal way, perpendicular to Main Street.
- The ability for the citizens of Norwell to safely walk to Town Center, the Middle School, High School, Woodworth Baseball Fields, Town Hall, and connect to the Pathway
- A more vibrant Town Center: We spoke to 11 of the businesses in Town Center and they all support this project as a way to increase foot traffic in Town.
- Increased home values: Various realtors have said that homebuyers are looking for more walkable communities and that the sidewalks would lead to a tangible increase in residential property values in Town.