There is an abandoned house in extreme disrepair and neglect at the address of 2223 California Ave in Santa Monica.
• This house has been in this horrible state for over 1 ½ years since it was purchased in an auction in March 2019.
• The house has an extreme overgrown front and back yard which is not cut or cared for by the owner. This is a fire hazard. The overgrown yard has also become a breeding ground for a large colony of rats and rodents on the property. These rodents are venturing onto neighbor’s properties.
• The house has a dangerous trench on the side yard.
• The house has attracted homeless persons who neighbors notice squat and live in the yard and house.
• There has also been two men observed who have set up camp at different times in front of the house to sell drugs out of a lawn chair they planted in front of the house.
• The owner obviously doesn’t care so all this behavior of fire hazard and vagrants on the property escalates and continues to get worse as time goes by.
• The owner has been contacted several times by multiple persons including his real estate agent, and the owner has ignored all requests and messages to clean up the abandoned property.
If this bothers you as well, please add your signature to the below. The undersigned are neighbors and homeowners on, and adjacent to, the 22nd & California block where this house is located. We have watched in horror as the condition of the house has gone from bad to worse under the new owner. It appears he has not even visited the property to check on it at all since he purchased it. We have tried to be patient, hoping the owner will sell it or fix it for occupants to rent it, however our patience has come to an end after 18months of having this atrocity on our block. Not only is it an eye-sore, it is dangerous to the neighborhood. We are asking for the city’s help to fine and enforce codes and laws to force the homeowner to maintain his property in a safe and decent manner.