Support the proposed YMCA coming to Scott County
We have an opportunity to have a wonderful place for kids to come out and experience the country with horseback riding, boating, fishing, archery, swimming, and many more activities. The property chosen is ideal for this project.
Here are a few facts about the proposed YMCA project:
- A number of studies including one particularly large long term study by Harvard University showed that programs like this have an overwhelming positive effect on participants. Improvements in academics, social behavior, reduction of risky behavior and obesity were among the benefits.
- It will provide jobs for local youth as camp counselors and other positions
- It will ensure that 220 acres stays in a "nature" state as compared to yet another housing development.
- The typical route used to access the YMCA is only being used at 20% of it's capacity of 2,500 cars per day. The YMCA will add roughly 50 per day.
- Property taxes will not increase more than about a dollar per year on a $750,000 home.
- Homes near other YMCA have shown an increase in property values as a result of their proximity to the YMCA.
opposition to the camp has been very vocal and has used social media to
spread inaccurate information to create hysteria how terrible the
increased traffic will be and how taxes will go up. All of it can be
proven false with some simple math. They are collecting signatures to
persuade our local representatives to block the project.
Please sign the petition to show your support for the YMCA and ensure that we don't lose this opportunity.