Stop Mink Farm
Petition of Abeyance (suspension) of the proposal for a mink farm of Chimpan Farms Limited (Robert Chipman), 2497 Hwy 201, Tupperville, NS. During which time we will work with the county to create a planned area forbidding Mink/Chinchilla/Fox farms in the communities of Mochelle, Round Hill, Tupperville, Centrelea, Carleton Corner and along the base of South Mountain.
Residents of Tupperville are very concerned of how this will negatively effect our community. These are our concerns,
- Property values will be instantly reduced (even by a rumor of such an enterprise)
- Quality of life (outdoor activities, family gatherings, hanging laundry...)
- Destruction of community vitality
- Business losses to those who presently operate
- Land degradation
- Pollution of waterways and water table – Cyanobacteria (blue-green algae)
- Air quality concerns: smells
- Pestilence including flies, rodents, disease
- Increased road traffic
- Use of taxpayers money for fur farm funding
- Controversial and unregulated animal cruelty issues
According to the province, one and a half million minks are raised in Nova Scotia each year on almost 80 mink farms. That is roughly 18000 mink per farm!
Is this the industry you want next door?