St. Louis Hall Conditions
The living conditions in St. Louis are affecting our health and academic performance. We are experiencing issues with mold, pest, fire hazards, and malfunctioning radiators.
Mold has been found in a multitude of locations in the building. It is directly affecting the air quality in the building. This is causing student health issues. We are suffering from painful coughing, sore throats, headaches, dizziness, and lack of sleep. We can see mold in the carpets and on the walls. A resident has a lower respiratory infection; it got so bad that he could not breathe in his own room. Another student is taking a visit to the doctor to have themselves checked.
There is a pest problem, mice and centipedes are constantly found in our dorms. We can also hear mice traveling through the walls. There are holes in walls and floors where the pests are likely traveling through. After many requests to contain the pest problem, it still remains unsolved.
The outdated fire extinguishers pose a fire safety hazard. Temperature control is becoming an issue as it gets colder outside; the radiators are difficult to use and they randomly turn on and off. It's either burning hot in our rooms or very cold.
Students are finding alternative places to sleep at night, such as the Information Commons, friends dorms, and going back home. This should not be the case. We in St. Louis Hall need to feel comfortable, safe and welcomed while living on campus at Loyola.
We in St. Louis Hall demand that Loyola University Residence Life and Administration make the necessary steps to address the issues we are experiencing. Giving the information above, this building is unlivable and is hazardous. This building is not worth the $9,360 we are paying. Why are we paying so much for so little?
Thank you for your time and we eagerly await your response.
St. Louis Hall Residents