Save the Cawston Greenway
This is what you could be losing.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9rbi3trjgxht5s/proposed-roads.jpg?dl=0 is being propose by the council, with the following development plan to follow.
The plan as proposed runs a road through the
Greenway, an eleven mile green route to Radford Semele along the old rail line,
partially consisting of national cycle route. This route is currently only
interrupted twice, once for the Fosse Way after 9 miles, and once more on the
outskirts of Offchurch.
In addition it ring fences the Cawston Woods.
- The road cutting across the Greenway to be scrapped.
- The Greenway to benefit from a minimum 30M buffer as per the Cawston Woods, perhaps with additional trees to maintain the open countryside feel of the Greenway.
- The housing west of Cawston Woods should be reduced to allow a significant green space, complementing and connect the Greenway to Cawston Woods. Such as shown in the following image where a 200m to 250m wide green space is created between the two.
- Footpaths to be created connecting Cawston Woods to the Greenway through this new green space.
- A wider buffer to the south of Cawston Woods to allow walkers and cyclists to continue to enjoy the feeling of being in the countryside, as this part of the ancient woodland is difficult to pass through.
- The Woodland Trust is engaged to help create a space that complements both the woods and the Greenway.
- Parking facilities, perhaps between the Greenway and the A4071 to allow all residents of Rugby to enjoy this precious green space.
- Footpaths leading north and south of Cawston Woods to create a beautiful circular route when added to existing paths through Cawston Woods. Depending the route taken through the woods and footpaths could exceed 3 miles in length.
Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1784847838460535/
You can help further by objecting o the local plan on the council website. Feel free to ask in the Facebook group for help doing so.
ds8 - https://www.rugby.gov.uk/downloads/download/270/draft_south_west_rugby_masterplan_supplementary_planning_document_spd
as it is not consistent with national policy as stated above.