Reinstate the foopath joining Rathpeacon Community to the City
Rathpeacon Community Association are working towards reinstating the path linking Rathpeacon with the City. This means restoring the path from Farm Power to the School along the Old Mallow Road.
There are only 6 parking places for the children of both Rathpeacon NS and First Friends pre-school to be dropped and collected and the area is incredibly congested. The road around the school is also a main road for farm machinery and a Bus Eireann vehicle also passes the school at collection time. All these factors mean there are very dangerous road conditions for children attending the school.
The section of road leading up to the school from both directions is currently unsafe for walking so parents can only drive their children to school. Traffic outside the school, and surrounding roads, has reached a critical point and action needs to be taken to reduce this.
The path would have many benefits for the community including:
- Children would be able to safely walk to school, promoting health, fitness and independence
- Encouraging an active lifestyle
- Reduce traffic, double parking on pavements and alleviate congestion at the school
- An increase in pedestrians in the area may result in decrease in speed the cars are travelling at
- Allow customers to access local businesses without entrances being blocked
- Ensure residents' driveways are not blocked permitting access to their properties at all times, especially during peak hours
- Local residents will be able to walk safely in their local area, increasing community within the area and enhancing the area
- Reduce risks factors for accidents - currently it is incredibly dangerous for children to cross the road
- This path with link with Sweeney’s Hill and creates a good, safe walking loop. There would be the potential of creating a Sli Na Slainte walk.
Please sign this petition, share locally, and help to make changes for our children and our community.
* Please note that when you have signed this petition, the website will take you to a page for donations. The Community Association are not fundraising for this pathway. It is the website IPetitions who are asking for donations. You are under no obligation to give money *