Reinstate Alex Gale as Vermilion Regional Airport Manager
We are petitioning the Vermilion Regional Airport Authority to reinstate Ms. Alex Gale as the Airport Manager and that the Board of Directors resign from their leadership positions immediately.
The decision to suspend her employment wrongly adversely affects Ms. Gale's career and life, but it also affects the forward momentum she has gained at the Vermilion Regional Airport - which impacts all of us. During her 21-month tenure Ms. Gale has accomplished many great things for the Vermilion Regional Airport including:
- Completed the renovation of The Flight Line Event Center.
- Oversaw the development of the Cold Storage Building, adding more space for equipment and two offices and a bathroom for tenants which is an addition to the airport for Capital Improvement.
- Secured an additional $850,000+ in grant funding for new entrance roads and security gates and fencing for better airfield security.
- Secured over $22,000 in funding from aviation fuel sales tax.
- Advocated and pushed for a $4 million taxiway realignment project to reach completion. This project has been in flux for over 3 years and under Alex’s leadership it is moving forward.
- Represented KDNV both on a state and national level. (Board member of Illinois Public Airport Association, Committee member of American Association of Airport Executives General Aviation Airports committee and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee, Committee member of National Air Transportation Association General Aviation Committee.)
- Recipient of Illinois Jaycees Top Outstanding Young Person Award for community outreach through the airport.
- Tightened up and created continuity with lease agreements and removing “handshake and under the table agreements”, making things equitable for all tenants.
- Generated additional revenue through successful marketing of the hangars and event center as well as the front grounds of the airport selling off old and unused equipment.
- Created an efficient team of employees, went from 5 full time to 3 full time and 2 part time. She is a working manager and has been able to contribute to the cost savings by participating in airfield operations and maintenance.
- Created inspection procedures for all equipment.
- With the revenue generated and cost savings, she paid for her own salary.
- Hosted year around, free, aviation focused events for our community. (Trunk or Treat, Easter Egg Hunt)
- Hosted the only drive thru Covid 19 vaccination clinic in Vermilion County.
- Purchased better, newer equipment to efficiently and effectively maintain the airfield.
- 1 of 3 airports to stay open during the 2022 snowstorm under her guidance and leadership.
- Moved the airport into the digital world through digital NOTAM management and more digital communications.
- Completed several paving projects. (Sealed Flight Line Parking lot, improved paving around drainage at the T-Hangars, concrete work completed at the crop-dusting hangar, removed potentially hazardous divots in taxiways)
- Updated airfield signage to LED and replaced faded faceplates that should have been replaced over the last decade.
- Completed the transition to LED lighting in the hangars.
- Created continuity in lease terms by moving the responsibility of payment for heat in hangars to the tenants. Previously, only certain tenants paid for heat and the airport paid for others.
- Improved the function of the crop-duster hangar door. It went from being inoperable to fully functioning.
- Moved to cell phone reimbursement from company cell phone plan, and no longer have a dedicated airport manager vehicle that was fully paid for by the taxpayers.
- Participated in continuing education through AAAE and Illinois Maintenance Association and IPAA.
- Created long term plans and goals for the airport, including 5 year, 10 year and 30+ year plans.
- Created a mission and vision statement for the airport.
- Created a new airport logo and website.
Alex Gale has accomplished so much in such a short amount of time and has made a tremendous impact in our community. We petition the Board of Directors to reinstate Ms. Gale immediately to her position of Airport Manager and submit their resignations so that the Vermilion Regional Airport can continue to move forward under her outstanding leadership.