Petition for a Quiet "No-Wake" Lake Nighthorse
We ask the members of the City Council of Durango, Colorado to have Lake Nighthorse managed as a quiet, no wake lake. This would ensure a peaceful sanctuary where visitors could enjoy nature, fishing, and a variety of watersports – canoeing, kayaking, rowing, paddle boarding, sailing, swimming, etc. This would be accomplished by restricting the maximum motorized boating speed to 5 mph.
The establishment of a speed limit of 5 mph for motorized boats (fuel or electric motors) is consistent with the requirements of the federal Wallop Breaux funds granted in 2009 to construct the boat ramp and associated recreational facilities.
It is important that the City of Durango ensures fiscal responsibility and that current concerns are addressed. The petition signees believe that a quiet no wake lake will contribute toward the City of Durango:
- Providing sufficient funding for management;
- Enforcing noise and speed limits;
- Ensuring public safety;
- Protecting shoreline and environmental integrity;
- Minimizing risks from quagga and zebra mussels;
- Positioning Durango as a “Quiet” or “Wild” tourism destination.