Oppose Anthem's Discrimination Against PTs and Their Patients
During the last decade, physical therapists and their patients across the nation have been disrespected by Anthem-Blue Cross. PTs who have dedicated at least 8 years of higher education to making patients' lives better are now incurring a mountain of student debt, are oftentimes not able to spend enough time with their patients, and are having a difficult time earning a living wage. The following Anthem actions have contributed to a deteriorating work-life balance, as well as social and economic injustice for PTs and their patients:
1. Anthem demanded a ~40% payment cut for PT services in 2010.
2. Anthem has not given PTs a cost-of-living increase in 10 years!
3. Their AIM utilization review program has attempted to "ration" physical therapy services, allowing an average of 3.8 visits/patient for expensive PPO plans and is now rationing care in Medicare Advantage Plans.
4. In 2019, Anthem imposed a contract on PTs that IPTCA's attorney said was loaded with illegal terms and clauses.
5. For 2019, Anthem recorded net income of $4.8 billion after taxes, up 28.2 percent from $3.8 billion the year prior. Meanwhile, many Doctors of Physical Therapy could not keep up with their student loans and/or afford a home.
6. During 2020, Anthem arbitrarily denied specific treatment codes ( i.e. 97530 and 97140) Therapeutic Activities and Manual Therapy. These are "standard of care" procedures in PT treatment and at the core of providing excellent therapy care. Medicare readily accepts these codes, so why is Anthem suddenly denying these long standing approved treatment codes?
We call on Anthem to end the injustice and cover quality PT services for the 99% of patients who believe that an expensive insurance plan should treat them fairly so that they do not have to pay cash.
We believe that essential health care services, like PT, are truly for ALL-- NOT just for the elite 1%, who can afford to pay cash.
PUSH BACK and let Anthem know that you do NOT support the rationing or cheapening of PT services.
And let the CA Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC) know that they should take enforcement action against Anthem, so they that can no longer risk patient outcomes.
Please forward this petition to your patients, friends, and colleagues.