Not in my backyard
A Petition in objection to SUPMAJ 2018-09 / ZVAR 2018-12 - Luba’s Pet Spa and Boarding Facility.
1. This Kennel, If Approved, Sets Precedent for future development. This Would Allow Other Special Uses for Zoning Variances. The Kennel is requesting a Zoning Variance to Sections 2.03.32.A, 2.03.32.D, and 6.08.22.C-D to allow an Animal Boarding facility on 1.92 acres of land in lieu of the 5-acre minimum, to reduce separation requirement between boarding facilities and residential from 200 feet to approximately 100 feet, to allow outdoor runs to be approximately 100 feet from residentially-zoned districts (150 feet is minimum), and to allow play area/passive park to be 35 feet from residentially-zoned districts (50 feet is minimum). It has to have a special "Use Permit" approved in order to fit into this property.
2. Noise issues are huge. With Kennels and a Day Care, there could be more than 160 dogs at a time outdoors (80 kennels)—with noise and barking. Even with proposed sound remediation to the kennel building, this does not address sounds of outdoor dogs barking. Neighbors have no confidence that there will be compliance or credible remediation if there are problems.
3. Traffic and pedestrian issues are of prime concern. The Corner of Racetrack Rd and Veterans PKWY are very heavily traveled with a posted speed of 45 mph. Traffic analysis, shows average speeds are 55 mph. There have been numerous accidents at this corner. 36 traffic accidents since Jan 2011 - June 2018. There is no left-turn into the facility from Veterans and with no entrance from Racetrack, makes U-turns into the Kennel extremely dangerous, especially with the narrow shoulders and sidewalks that are heavily used by bicyclists and pedestrians. Adding even more problems of safety to this mix are the three schools, Durbin Creek Elementary within .5 mile, Fruit Cove Middle within 1.5 miles, and Creekside High School 1.5 miles, numerous children that walk or bike to all of these schools. Add current and near future development, all the new town center traffic and Celestine housing and even more traffic will be added to this roadway.
4. There is no demonstrated community need for another Spa / Kennel in Northern St. Johns’s area, we found 10 Grooming / Daycare / Boarding kennels within 10 miles: additionally two are currently being built within 5 miles, all of these are easy driving distance from this area.
5. This Kennel encroaches into 4 residential home parcels, the parcel is located southeast corner of Racetrack RD and Veterans Parkway. Six neighborhoods of over 500 homes will be directly affected. In addition, there over 5800 homes in JCP that will be negatively impacted. A kennel will have a negative impact on all current and future property values.
For all these reasons we urge the County Commissioners and Planning and Zoning members to deny this kennel’s request for Zoning Variance.
—Concerned Residents of St. John’s