Improve Lyde Green Park!
Lyde Green currently consists of approximately 1,300 households with a large percentage of families who are eager to have a safe park with adequate facilities to stimulate and entertain their children.
We are asking for investment from South Gloucestershire Council for the reassessment and reconstruction of the LEAP (Local Equipped Area for Play) off Howsmoor Lane, Lyde Green.
We call on South Gloucestershire Council and Green Square to carry out the following:
- Invest in new, safer surfacing, such as surfacing mats made of safety tested rubber. This will also allow access for people in wheelchairs who might also like to use the park.
- Invest in fencing around the play area and providing appropriate gates where needed.
- Reassess the appropriateness of the ground conditions (soil and drainage) in the Park.
- Invest in lighting for the park to reduce anti-social behaviour and improve safety.
- Reassess routes to the park for access and usability, including Howsmoor Lane and the path from Lupin Close, which are often impassable due to mud and water build-up.
- Invest in new play equipment for children of all ages (from 2-16), and for disabled children.
We feel that these requests need to be urgently addressed so local families can safely use Lyde Green Park all year-round.
- The playground surfaces are unsafe as they are made of grass and soil and due to the weather and wear, it can reduce its capabilities to cushion a child’s fall.
- Most equipment is unusable, particularly during the winter months.
- The surfacing that has been used under the play equipment is grass reinforcement matting which in combination with the British weather creates big puddles of water and mud under most of the play equipment making it inaccessible and dangerous for everyone.
- Another safety regulation that hasn’t been followed is the lack of fencing and gated areas to contain the children within the toddler area. Fences should be constructed and erected in accordance with the appropriate part of BS 1722, with a minimum height of 1.0m recommended.
To support families to instil healthy lifestyles for their children, residents believe that this investment is vital to the community and will also reduce vehicle usage on local roads as families are currently driving to alternative facilities.
The personal details you have provided within this petition will only be used in connection with the administration of the petition and will only be shared between the petition organiser, Lyde Green Open Space and South Gloucestershire Council/GreenSquare. Your personal information will not be used for any other purpose. It will be held and stored securely and will be securely destroyed in line with data protection law.