Allow golf carts in Leavenworth
In a recent town board meeting in Leavenworth, members moved to fully restrict the use of golf carts. They reasoned their decision with information of the traffic increase as a result of the summer long bridge closure on IN-62. The closure has caused an increase of vehicles cutting through the old town area to get around the closure. For years families have been traveling from camp to camp and stopping off at The Dock Restaurant for lunch or dinner and no significant issues have come of this. The restriction of golf carts will require families to seek alternative means to travel. Using full size automobiles only increases the traffic in the small area of old town. Walking is a hazard in itself as sidewalks do not exist and people will be forced to walk in the streets in the increased traffic.
- Each golf cart shall have headlights and tail lights to be used between dusk and dawn.
- Each golf cart shall have at least one rear view mirror.
- Each golf cart shall have either a Slow Moving Vehicle sign or orange pennant flag that extends above the cart's highest point.
- The golf cart shall be in useable condition with no visible or known issues that may effect it's safe use.
- The golf cart shall be inspected by a town board member or law enforcement official. The cart shall meet requirements 1-5.
- Upon successful inspection, the cart owner shall pay an annual permit fee for their golf cart. A permit sticker issued by the board shall be placed in the most visible location on the front left corner of the golf cart. Annual inspections shall occurs on or before the expiration of their current sticker to prevent receiving a late fee. Un-permitted golf carts will receive a citation in the amount of 3 times the annual fee.
- Golf cart operators shall have a current valid drivers license.
- Golf cart operators shall follow all rules of the road and be in complete safe control of their golf cart at all times.
- Golf cart operator shall give the right of way to full sized vehicles.