Support Sonoma School Site Rezoning and Sale
Dear Livermore City Council Members:
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
The signers of this petition support rezoning the Sonoma School Site property currently owned by Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District (LVJUSD) from E (Educational/Park) to RL (Residential Low-Density).
The Property Advisory Committee has recommended to sell the Sonoma School Site in consideration of all other District properties. They took into account that the site had not been used as an elementary school since the 1980s, with the exception Livermore Valley Charter School which abandoned the site after moving to their own property in 2013. The Committee considered current and projected student enrollment in Livermore, and the status of all LVJUSD schools, whether in use or not in use.
Nearly 13,000 K-12 students are educated by LVJUSD schools in the city of Livermore. In addition, 8 lower income housing units will be added out of 54 planned. This sale will also create the following benefits for current and future students:
- Additional funding for the purchase of textbooks, technology, and other essential needs for students and staff.
- An additional $500,000 to current student needs.
- $800,000 to LARPD for park impact
- $1.1M to the City of Livermore for open space impact
- Elimination of ongoing expenditures to protect the safety in the surrounding neighborhood from vandalism and vagrancy. This includes 24-hour surveillance which has proven necessary since a recent fire destroyed one structure.
- Enables LVJUSD to uphold CA state law which requires the disposal of unused properties or risk significant penalties.
- Enables LVJUSD to prioritize the Almond Avenue and Arroyo Mocho sites for expansion if needed. Arroyo and Almond could be returned to service in a relatively short period of time with appropriate planning. The Sonoma School site facilities are beyond repair, especially after a recent fire forced the demolition of a fire gutted structure.
The City of Livermore voters have consistently supported our schools. Rezoning of the Sonoma School Site is responsible property management which aligns City Leaders with the LVJUSD and Livermore Voters in a commitment to put education dollars to best use.
Please provide your support in favor of rezoning the Sonoma School Site from "E" to "RL".