Support Our Teachers! (Central Park Montessori)
Our extremely hardworking teachers at Twin Parks Montessori's Central Park campus ("Central Park Montessori"), represented by UFCW Local 2013, have been in protracted negotiations with developer Sinclair Haberman. Mr. Haberman is the controlling shareholder of the company that owns Central Park Montessori.
Our teachers have made a few modest requests, which Mr. Haberman has repeatedly rejected. We, the parents of Central Park Montessori, believe that current tuition rates should easily support the following:
1. Teachers should be paid twice every month, rather than once a month. Given the low salaries of employees in this sector, many teachers have trouble making ends meet between paychecks. Twice a month is industry standard in NYC.
2. Teachers should have the option to elect the less expensive UFCW healthcare plan as an option.
3. Teachers should have a tiered 401K contribution plan:
- Employees of 1-5 years: Central Park Montessori should contribute 1% of the teachers' annual salary to 401Ks.
- Employees of 6-10 years: Central Park Montessori should contribute 1.5% of the teachers' annual salary to 401Ks.
- Employees of 10 or more years: Central Park Montessori should contribute 2% of the teachers' annual salary to 401Ks.
4. Teachers should have three-year union contracts.
We, the parents of Central Park Montessori, love our school. We love our school in large part because of our devoted, caring teachers, who give their all every day to help us raise our young global citizens.
We strongly support our teachers in these negotiations and respectfully urge Mr. Haberman to honor our teachers' reasonable requests.