Stop The Academy House Boiler Project
Owners’ Petition to Veto the Boiler Project as Presented on April 2
We, the undersigned, wish to veto the immediate implementation of the Academy House Boiler Project, as presented at the Special Owners’ Meeting on April 2, 2012.
Council approved this project using a closed process without soliciting input from owners. After the decision was presented at the meeting, owners voiced concerns about the urgency, and even necessity, of the project and about its design, environmental impact, safety, and financial viability. Council must address the following concerns as a minimum, openly and transparently (as during the incorporation of owner feedback into the hallway renovation):
· Non-documentation of contractor bids
· Urgency of and necessity for the project
· Safety of the gas and oil lines and of the boilers
· Lack of contractor experience with a high-rise conversion
· Advisability of incremental debt
· Extremely long payback period on a $1.9 million expenditure
· Limited disclosure and lack of opportunity for residents’ input
· Nondisclosure of requirements for maintenance and regulatory compliance
Until Council meets the expressed concerns of the Academy House community, the Boiler Project should not proceed.
Please enter your name, and e-mail address (so we can follow up if needed), and in the Comments section, indicate your unit number, if you are an owner or renter, and add any additional questions or concerns you may have.
(Alternatively, you may request a veto in an individual letter to Council. If you choose this option, please let us know by using the "Contact Petition Sponsor" link on the top right of this page).