SAVE UHM TIM SCHOOL
As student leaders of the Travel Industry Management School at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa, tourism is Hawai'i's number one industry and economic driver. The TIM School has well-equipped and enriched us with a wealth of knowledge about hospitality, tourism, and transportation through its diverse faculty. The TIM School is educating young professionals to be the future industry leaders to help guide Hawai'i to a better, self-sustaining future.
We, the undersigned, represent the current undergraduate and graduate students, alumni, and travel industry professionals supporting the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa School of Travel Industry Management (TIM). We strongly oppose the proposed merger of the TIM School with the Shidler College of Business.
We highly cherish the TIM School and its global reputation. Its strengths are due to having its own dean, its own budget, a dedicated faculty, highly personalized student advising and internship services, and a well-rounded and diverse curriculum that has prepared students for successful careers in the service industry for over five decades. In addition, the TIM School is the most efficient unit on the UH Mānoa campus, meaning that revenues from student tuition covers the school’s expenses. We are highly concerned about the adverse consequences a merger will have on the TIM degree programs and curricula, TIM faculty and staff and most importantly the TIM student body such as:
- Loss of autonomy, global reputation, brand identity and culture of the TIM School being submerged within the College of Business
- Impacts of possible curriculum changes due to accreditation with Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- Impacts of current accreditation with Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA), currently accredited through 2022
- Loss of George Hall and or current TIM designated facilities
- Changes in entry/admission requirements for prospective TIM students
- Loss of ease of transferability of students from hospitality, tourism and travel programs in the Community Colleges
- Reduction in student services, including academic advising, internship and career placement
- Reduction and undesirable changes in TIM courses/curricula and TIM faculty and staff
- Confusion of TIM donors and industry sponsorship allocations
- Loss of TIM signature events including Celebrate a Legacy in Tourism, Nā Kukui Netlinks: Student-Industry Networking, TIM Commencement, Welcome Orientations, among many other special TIM hosted events and activities
If you agree that the TIM School should remain independent, then please type your name below, along with your affiliation to the TIM School.
Affiliation abbreviations(if applicable):
ALUM - TIM Alumni
IP – TIM Internship Partner
SPON – TIM Sponsor
SUPP – TIM Supporter
PLEASE SHARE WITH TIM STUDENTS, ALUMNI, INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS, AND TIM SUPPORTERS!!!
Revised "Save UHM TIM School" petition as of May 5th, 2019