SAVE the QUIET ENJOYMENT of our Thousand Islands!
We, the undersigned, are OPPOSED to the Town of Alexandria, NY “permitting” Sport Island as a “RESORT” in the “Marine-Residential” Zoned Area.
- On June 28, 2022, Jefferson County recommended DENYING site-plan approval (6 votes to 0) for a developer to operate a Resort on Sport Island and two other islands in the Town of Alexandria Marine-Residential Zone.
- On July 18, 2022 at 6:00 PM, the T/Alexandria Planning Board can still vote to permit Sport Island to become a RESORT in Marine-Residential Zoned District unless they hear our voices to stop Commercial Resorts in Marine-Residential Zoned Districts.
- For many decades, innumerable persons frequent “The Summerland Group” to quietly raft and enjoy the St. Lawrence River.
- Permitting a “RESORT” in the Marine-Residential Zoned Area will disturb and disrupt, not only the owners of the surrounding islands, but also ALL boaters who traditionally enjoy the Summerland Group.
We call on the Town of Alexandria Planning Board & Town Board to:
- DENY the application of Sport Island Land Developers to open a RESORT on Sport Island in the Marine-Residential Zoned Area.
- Reject the proposed plan to permit a RESORT on Sport Island, and
- Fully consult with local residents on any future proposals.
The Town of Alexandria has NOT recognized the historical nature of our small residential communities, of owner-occupied dwellings, and that Short-Term Rentals (STR) in RESIDENTIAL Zoned Districts endanger the residential character of our communities and disrupt the peace and quiet enjoyment of neighboring homeowners. Six buildings (24 bedrooms), will house STRs on Sport Island. Two - 100’ docks and 30 boat slips are also being proposed. The Commercial Development of Sport Island will severely impact the Summerland Group Islands located in a Marine-Residential Zoned Area.