Saving the San Diego Polo Club
The San Diego Polo Club's lease with the City of San Diego has expired and is now in the process of the request for proposal. Please join us by signing this petition and demonstrating to the Mayor of San Diego and the San Diego City Council Members your support for the renewal of our lease. Thank you.
GOAL: Seek to support a new proposal to the City of San Diego, which will consist of a new long term agreement to operate and maintain the existing San Diego Polo Club property, for the purpose of organizing polo and other equestrian activities for certain months of the year, as well community youth and adult soccer, lacrosse, and rugby, and other local sporting events, while maintaining certain designated sections of the property as Open City Of San Diego Community Park Space to be kept and preserved in “a natural condition.”
-Polo has a been an important part of San Diego and an important part of many local families, local and visiting polo players, and others in our community for over 100 years, and at its current location for 26 years.
-Millions of dollars have been raised for over 80 different charity organizations at the San Diego Polo Club (SDPC) the past quarter century. (List available).
-The Founding Members of SDPC donated a check for $400,000 to the American Red Cross for the victims of the 9/11 tragedy 1 week after that terrible day.
-The SDPC has hosted children from the local Community Schools to a day of riding horses, polo instruction and lunch. These children do not come from an area commonly associated with polo.
- SDPC salutes our brave military veterans/first responders annually. ( The San Diego Board of Supervisors recognized SDPC for this.)
- During the 2003 and 2007 fires, SDPC was instrumental in helping to save hundreds of horses that were in danger. Several Members of the Club used their own vehicles & trailers to help save horses from the fire. The club also watered and fed horses until other arrangements were made.
- SDPC in conjunction with SURF Soccer has hosted thousands of young soccer players and their families from all over the country for soccer tournaments since 1991.
- In 2011 and 2012 SDPC in conjunction with leading San Diego Youth Lacrosse Organizations has hosted thousands of young lacrosse players and their families from all over the country for youth Lacrosse clinics and tournaments.
- Polo and Soccer and Lacrosse events at the SDPC have brought us thousands of visitors annually to our City of San Diego community and have generated millions of dollars in revenues for our local hotels, food and beverage outlets, and other local businesses and attractions.