Request that Harris County Commissioners Reduce the Speed Limit in Saddlebrook Village to 20 MPH
PROCEDURES FOR THE POSTING OF SPEED LIMIT SIGNS BELOW 30 MPH, BUT NOT LESS THAN 20 MPH, IN CERTAIN RESIDENCE DISTRICTS IN THE UNINCORPORATED AREA OF HARRIS COUNTY, TEXAS, PRECINCT 4
SECTION 1: Authority
1.1 Section 545.355 of the Texas Transportation Code, as amended, authorizes the Commissioners Court of a county to declare a lower speed limit of not less than 20 miles per hour in a residence district, unless the roadway has been designed as a major thoroughfare by a city planning commission.
1.2 These procedures are promulgated pursuant to and in conformity with section 545.355 of the Texas Transportation Code, as amended.
SECTION 2: Definitions
As used in these procedures and defined in the Texas Transportation Code:
2.1 “Residence District” means the territory, other than a business district, adjacent to and including a highway, if at least 300 feet of the highway frontage is primarily improved with:
(A) Residences; or
(B) Buildings used for business purposes and residences.
2.2 “Residential Subdivision” means a subdivision in Harris County for which a plat is recorded in the Harris County real property records and in which the majority of lots are subject to deed restrictions limiting the lots to residential use.
2.3 “Major Thoroughfare” means a road designated as a major thoroughfare on the Houston Planning Commission’s Major Thoroughfare Plan.
SECTION 3: Subdivision’s responsibilities
3.1 The residents of a residential subdivision who want Harris County Precinct 4 to post 20 mph signs in their subdivision must do the following:
(A) Provide a petition to the Precinct 4 County Commissioner in the prescribed form, attached hereto, signed by at least 51 percent (51%) of the owners or tenants of residences in the subdivision.
(1) Contiguous subdivisions that are developed by the same entity or a successor to that entity and that are given the same public name are considered one subdivision. Separation of one of the subdivisions from another by a road, stream, greenbelt, or similar barrier does not make the subdivisions noncontiguous.
(2) Not more than one person from each residence may sign the petition.
(3) Each person signing the petition must be at least 18 years of age.
(B) Provide an affidavit to be signed by a representative of the subdivision, in the prescribed form attached hereto, which lists each and every street in the subdivision affected by the petition and attests to the following:
(1) The number of residences in the affected subdivision;
(2) That a majority of the lots in the affected subdivision are subject to deed restrictions limiting the lots to residential use;
(3) The number of individuals who have signed the petition;
(4) That each person signing the petition is over 18 years of age;
(5) That each person signing the petition is either an owner or tenant of a residence in the affected subdivision;
(6) That only one person from each residence in the affected subdivision has signed the petition; and
(7) That he/she has received a copy of the Harris County regulationsrelated to this matter and understands these regulations.
3.2 Speed limit signs must be placed on a street otherwise it remains at the prima facie speed limit of 30 mph. For this reason, the subdivision must identify each street they would like the speed limit lowered.
3.3 The petition(s) and affidavit required under subsection 3.1 shall be delivered to the Community Assistance Department of the Commissioner of Precinct 4 located at 1731 Hugh Road, Houston, Texas 77067. Within a reasonable time after receipt of an executed affidavit with all necessary documents, the Commissioner, or his designee, will prepare an item for presentation to Commissioners Court during a regularly scheduled meeting. If the Commissioners Court approves the petition, the Commissioner of the Precinct shall have a reasonable time in which to install the signs.
3.4 IT IS UNDERSTOOD THAT A REQUEST THAT CONFORMS WITH THESE PROCEDURES DOES NOT OBLIGATE COMMISSIONERS COURT TO APPROVE THE REQUESTED 20 MPH SPEED LIMIT.
My signature below indicates the following:
1. that I am an owner or tenant of the residence address listed below in the Saddlebrook Village subdivision;
2. that I am at least 18 years of age; and
3. that I want Harris County Commissioners Court to give approval to post the streets affected by this petition at 20 mph, a speed limit below 30 mph, but not less than 20 mph, in this subdivision as permitted by section 545.355 of the Texas
Name must be printed legibly (except for signature). If printed name is not legible, then it will be disqualified.