Protect Boone County Property Rights!
The proposed Ordinance 15 will take away the property rights of Boone County, Kentucky citizens by creating a 5-member panel with the ability to mandate how private property can be used. This Code Enforcement Board was proposed to deal with complaints from residents about unpleasant aspects of neighborhood properties. However, the forty-page proposed Ordinance 15 is riddled with property rights violations and ill-defined provisions that give the Code Enforcement Board free rein to do as it pleases to harass the citizens of Boone County.
Therefore, we demand that Judge/Executive Gary Moore and Commissioners Cathy Flaig, Charles Kenner, and Charlie Walton protect our property rights by rejecting Ordinance 15 and all similar proposals.
Some specific problems of Ordinance 15 include the following:
- The legions of enforcement officers this ordinance calls for (Sections 1 and 105.2).
- The nonsensically limiting codes pertaining to issues like house numbers and motor vehicles (Sections 204.3 and 202.10).
- The completely subjective codes about “security devices” and “discarded items” (Sections 204.18 and 108.3.3).
- The sections doing away with due process of law (Section 7).
- The abolition of the Fourth Amendment (Sections 106.3, 108.3.3, and 202.3.1).
- The ability of those enforcing the Ordinance to change the codes at whim (Sections 102.8 and 106.7).
- The fines for “incorrect” use or maintenance of private property (Section 10).
- The idea that government can dictate how private citizens use their property (throughout).
There are many more examples of the deep-rooted problems with Ordinance 15 that cannot be cited here for the sake of space.
The right to peaceful enjoyment of private property is the foundational right of this Nation, this Commonwealth, and this County. Like all rights, the right to property was not given to us by government and, consequently, cannot be lawfully taken away by government.
Suffice it to say that we, the undersigned residents of Boone County, Kentucky, oppose Ordinance 15 in its entirety and all similar pieces of legislation.
Therefore, we demand that Judge/Executive Gary Moore and Commissioners Cathy Flaig, Charles Kenner, and Charlie Walton reject Ordinance 15 and all similar legislation.