MDCAN: NO TO MANDATORY PhD!
We, members of MDCAN, a body of Medical and Dental Consultants in Nigeria, hereby protest and oppose the forceful inclusion of PhD as a criterion for advancement of Medical and Dental Consultants in the University system.
We are, therefore, requesting for support from all the Consultants in Nigeria by signing your name on the petition to register your support for the protest.
We are signing to invite and empower MDCAN NOC to call emergency meeting to take a decision on:
- Making a demand on NUC that she should change her negative policy of compulsory PhD for medical specialists/lecturers for the purpose of:
- Contesting for the position of VC
- Promotion to Professorship cadre
- Making a demand on NUC to review entry requirement for PhD program, for those Consultants who intend to obtain one, to equal pre-membership qualifications of any of the Colleges, and NOT part 2 and/or Fellowship as currently stipulated. For purposes of clarity, pre-membership qualification include MBBS, PRIMARY, Diploma in specialties etc.
- Making a demand for CONMESS to be applied to all Consultants who are also lecturers in the Universities.
- Withdrawal of service from the medical schools of Universities to protest this ill-treatment
NMCN should stop signing away the future of doctors. NUC should stop interfering in the tradition and standard of training of specialist doctors and MDCN should rise to protect th profession.
All selfish things like "it will delay my son or daughter" should be put aside, after all some of the children of the arrow heads for PhD are also in the medical schools.
We should stop treating this cancer with kid's gloves.
If you support these views, please sign and share this petition among our colleagues.
NB: Pls Consultants should include the name of their MDCAN's chapter (eg, UNTH Enugu) so that we can verify their signature with such center as valid.