NYC Schools - Head Lice Infestation - A Comprehensive Policy and Process are Needed
The NYC Department of Education (DOE) currently has a policy that is ineffective in the identification / eradication of Head Lice aka Pediculosis and of any meaningful follow-up inspections among it's students.
The current policy can be found here:
This petition has been created to spur the NYC DOE to do the following:
1) Effectively deal with the ongoing epidemic of Head Lice infestation in the NYC public school system.
2) Provide a comprehensive process to identify and inspect all children, both those infested and those they come in contact with, to stop the ongoing infestation.
3) Provide necessary information to parents regarding the state of the infestation problem in their children's school.
4) Provide adequate and accurate record keeping of the children infested and the efforts the DOE is taking to document and manage the problem.
5) Provide transparency and ongoing notification to the NYC Department of Health about the problem.
6) Provide adequate and routine inspection (initial and followup) and record keeping of children inspected.
7) Provide proper training to all designated school "lice inspectors". They currently are not provided with appropriate training.
This petition will be given to School Principals, School Nurses, the NYC School's Chancellor and the NYC Department of Health. If you would like to see this problem addressed in some way, please sign the petition, like the Facebook page:
and share the links freely with any parent of a NYC Public School student.