Keep SAUSD Winter Break 3 weeks long!
We as students, parents and staff of the Santa Ana Unified School District feel it is important to keep the Winter Holiday Vacation three weeks long. We believe that giving families extra time to spend with loved ones, participate in important religious holidays and take time to recharge and rejuvenate is vital to the overall success of our students. These are just a few of the advantages of a longer break. In addition to addressing families' needs, it makes financial sense for our district to consider attendance data that shows many families are out of town the first week of the new year.
We ask that you reconsider and keep SAUSD's winter break three weeks long.
Advantages of An Extended Winter Holiday
There are some advantages to a vacation that lasts three weeks or longer.· Families who live a long distance from relatives are able to travel.
· Enrichment programs during the holiday vacation can give students an opportunity to participate in activities that would be difficult to do during a regular school term.
· Religion plays an important role. With an extended break, students can have ample time to partake in the rituals and traditions of the holidays.
·For many Latins, Dia De Los Reyes (Epiphany) is not until January 6th. Returning before then would interfere with families’ ability to celebrate an important day.
· ADA funding is decreased when families take the time off regardless of the calendar.
· It takes a person’s mind a long period of time to wind down. When the vacation starts, it takes a few days for the child to transition to a freer schedule and routine.
·The child (and the parents) may spend most of the vacation either transitioning out of the school routine or transitioning back into it.
· Limited opportunity to explore other life experiences like travel, community service projects, and other investments. The whole vacation gets taken up with festivities, and family obligations.
· Maintenance can have time to tackle large repair and renovation projects.
· Opportunity to spend several days on staff development.