Improve Safety and Quality of Life for Neighbors of Richmond Hill
Neighbors of our local school PS 90 have made Community Board 9 aware of recent safety issues and noise violations occurring on the playground after school, in the evenings, and throughout the day on weekends. Currently, the playground is open daily from 7-8 AM until 8-9 PM and has presented a host of safety issues and noise violations that make it impossible for neighbors to have peace in their own homes. During these hours, neighbors have witnessed:
- Children and adults using alcohol and drugs on the play structure, basketball courts, under the pavilion and in the school doorways
- Public urination on the school building and in the schoolyard
- Unattended children yelling, screaming, and banging on playground equipment after school and past dusk. Noise prevents neighbors from enjoying a peaceful dinner - even with windows closed - and disrupts sleep for elderly neighbors and families with young children.
- Beer bottles and trash thrown into neighbors yards from the playground
- Adult men using the playground for boxing matches while playing loud music and shouting profanities
- Minors engaged in sexual activity
We are demanding that Community Board 9 take action to close the school playground and lock the gates at the end of the school day to improve the quality of life for neighbors. We want a safe environment for our children and families to play. With beautiful Forest Park and the Jackson Pond playground and basketball courts three blocks away, we see no need for this playground to be open after school hours, especially when it creates safety and noise problems for neighbors.
We love our community and want to ensure that it is safe and harmonious for all of our neighbors.