Help get a Community Garden started at Pleasant Playground
Are you into gardening? Does helping out your community and others motivate you? Are you environmentally friendly? Do you like fresh fruits and vegetables? Would you like to bring a green space to our community? If so please sign this PETITION to get a COMMUNITY GARDEN started at PLEASANT PLAYGROUND?
The idea of developing local community garden here in Mount Airy was initiated by local community members. Pleasant Playground is an ideal place for a community garden because of availability of unused public land, its location on the same grounds as the recreation center, easily accessible to community members and proximity to local school.
If the garden is approved by the Philadelphia Department of Parks and Recreation local volunteers will be tasked with managing and upkeep of the community garden. Therefore all decisions about design layout, food to be grown, garden activities and any joint community activities rests solely with the community members and volunteer staff.
A community garden at Pleasant Playground will provide a number of benefits:
- It will provide a great way to grow food, foster good health and promote an understanding of our environment.
- It will create opportunities for learning in a helpful shared environment, for local school students, day care center children and the general community.
- Provides an opportunity for people to meet others and make new friends, which aids social inclusion. This space is fully accessible to all community members.
- Makes use of only of approximately 1/9 of Pleasant Playground and will mean more people will use the Park. Residents will not be restricted from access to either the park or the community garden.
- It will be in accord with the overall vision of the Pleasant Playground to provide services to the community.
IMPORTANT - PLEASE BE SURE TO LEAVE YOUR ADDRESS IN THE COMMENTS SECTION. (This is information needed by the Dept of Parks and Recreation to determine the level of local support for this project. City approval is based upon the level of direct support for this initiative by the community residents.)
If you would like to volunteer to assist in the day to day operations of the community Garden and/or manage your own plot in the garden, please indicate so in the comments section.
If you have questions you can direct them to Joe at Soilbrotha1@gmail.com or to Pleasant Playground staff at email@example.com.
Thank you for your support!