Change the girls uniform skirt-nylon policy at HS of St. Thomas More
August 7th update from Laura Schmitt: Thanks everyone for your overwhelming support. The petition has been presented to Mr. Bustle with all your signatures. I'm confident that he and the STM administration will hear us and return to a socks-with-skirt policy.
Petition to overturn one of the requirements of the new STM uniform policy
We want the administration to revisit the uniform policy regarding our girls having to wear tights or nylons with their skirts. We don’t understand why this requirement was added to the uniform policy.
We don’t think this is a fair requirement because:
1. Nylons in warm weather are extremely uncomfortable. It is unfair to require the girls to wear them.
2. Since it opened, STM has allowed girls to wear socks with their skirts. This was reasonable and the girls were comfortable with this. There is no need to change the policy now.
3. Wearing socks with skirts is the same policy that the other Catholic schools in Champaign follow.
4. If the girls have to wear nylons or tights for PE it will take them longer to change, not to mention it will cost the parents more money as they have to constantly replace nylons that have tears or runs. We already have had to spend money purchasing new skirts, so adding even more expense is unfair.
5. No one wears nylons anymore, so why would we require our girls to wear them?
We believe the STM administration should drop this requirement.