Petition Against Grade Separation at the Intersection of 47th Street & East Avenue
people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
people have signed. Add your voice!
In response to the current study being conducted by the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), we, the undersigned, declare a firm opposition to the construction of any grade separation structure (vehicular overpass or underpass) at the intersection where Indiana Harbor Belt (IHB) Railroad crosses 47th Street and East Avenue in La Grange, Illinois. Furthermore, we petition our elected officials at the local, state and federal levels to represent our views as such.
We believe that such a structure would
- increase the volume and speed of traffic traveling through our community on 47th Street
- encourage additional truck traffic on 47th Street
- further endanger village residents and the pedestrian public along 47th Street from East Avenue extending into Western Springs
- compromise the residential integrity of our neighborhoods along 47th Street from East Avenue extending into Western Springs
- threaten and/or devalue the private property of our fellow village residents
- negatively impact our heavily-utilized public green space (Sedgwick Park)
- worsen southbound accessibility issues for both Sedgwick Park and Waiola Park
- compromise the cohesiveness, integrity and quaint character of our village, and
- be an excessive misuse of tens of millions of our taxpayer dollars during this time of great fiscal crisis and uncertainty.
We do, however, support the development and implementation of alternative plans to calm traffic and improve pedestrian safety at the intersection and along 47th Street in La Grange.
This petition is agreed upon by the following signatories:
47th Street/East Avenue Community Group
IDOT Study Website:
Join us on Facebook: