Please support the "Tim Tebow" bill in West Virginia
The intent of this petition is to provide all eligible students in West Virginia, including private and home schooled students, the option to participate in public school sports and activities, particularly those governed by the West Virginia Secondary Schools Athletic Commission (WVSSAC).
At least 30 other states currently have laws in place providing opportunities for similar student participation. It is most commonly referred to as the “Tim Tebow” bill, named for University of Florida Heisman Trophy winner and former homeschool student Tim Tebow. This bill does not require public schools to give homeschooled or private schooled students a spot on the team, but gives them a chance to try out. The students would be required to meet academic standards, not otherwise have the sport opportunity through their educational tract and play for the school in which they are zoned.
Potential Student Benefits:
- Eligibility for over 21, 000 students in West Virginia to participate in WVSSAC activities
- Provide private and home schooled students an opportunity to participate in organized sports and band
- Potentially improve competitiveness of existing sports programs
- Allows flexibility in schooling options
- Eliminates discrimination in the allocation of our state tax education dollars
- Will provide student opportunity to physical and mental challenges, learning experiences, and development
With nearly 20% of West Virginia students being labeled as obese and ranking below the national average in education these additional opportunities could improve both these statistics.
West Virginia is a very rural state and opportunities for children to participate in sports and band may be limited or non-existent in their community.
Please sign this petition to let our law makers know that we want equal opportunities for all students of West Virginia! Please recruit your friends and family to sign. We need thousands of signatures!
Please visit, like and share our Facebook page: Support a West Virginia Tim Tebow Bill