Union-Adanac corridor pedestrian and bike improvements
As you probably know, the City of Vancouver is proposing to close down access to vehicles on Vernon Dr. between Union and Adanac to reduce conflict between vehicles and bikes on what is apparently the busiest cycling route in the city. More information can be found in the image attached, or visiting the cities website here:
We have heard from a number of businesses in the area about the impacts this would have on their business. The city does not take into consideration this impact with the businesses that have been here, and invested in the community.
This petition to to oppose the installation and access route change of Vernon Drive and Union Street.
There are several other ways to increase safety in the area without the need to effect the routes for businesses in the area, that have been brought up with the city. They refuse to take our considerations and consider the agenda of the bike lane more important than the local businesses and residents in the area, who are opposed to this change.
Please sign the petition if you feel there is a better use for our tax dollars, and to show the city that businesses in the area are important as well.
The main issues:
- Access for deliveries, and commercial vehicles will be limited to other areas, increasing routes and increasing congestion bottlenecks to our facilities. You cannot drive through on Vernon anymore, you must take Glen.
- The increase of train traffic has caused major backups on Venables for the local businesses, so access to turn on Glen (which is the alternate route) is almost impossible when this happens.
- Increased costs for local businesses with vehicles, each route and deliver will be increased by 5min per vehicle.
- The city does not maintain the alley way roads, which are decrepit and require repair. The traffic will increase in the alleys as individuals try to bypass the vernon drive closure. This will also effect the local businesses greatly.
- The city did not consult with the local businesses prior to railroading this proposed change, and have given the businesses a bad option, or a worse option if we don't agree.
- The traffic will greatly increase across a school zone, which creates an unsafe area for the children in the community. This is a large concern to all of us! We all avoid driving down that road because of the school, but we will be forced to drive down that road if this change happens.
- A total of 6 parking spots are also being removed from Vernon Drive, which is already very short on parking space as more individuals move and work in the area.
- We have proposed crosswalks, and dismounting for the bikes to increase safety, which is a safe compromise. Many cyclist do not stop at the stop signs, which is the city's main concern - and as a result we are being punished for this.