UCL London Living Wage: NOW
We demand UCL pay the London Living Wage: NOW
* adequate warmth and shelter
* a healthy, palatable diet
* social integration
* enough time away from work to avoid chronic stress
As of September 2011 that means £8.30/hour (increased 45p since last year to reflect the rising cost of living in London), plus fair sick pay, fair annual leave and the utmost respect for the right to join a trade union. It's a disgrace that at a university founded on egalitarian principles so many people still have to survive on poverty wages.
We, the undersigned, call on the UCL Provost to:
· Follow in the footsteps of LLW employers like Birkbeck and implement the LLW with immediate effect. Staff should not have to wait for their contracts to expire; they have waited long enough.
· Commit to deliver to UCL subcontracted staff the full LLW package: this includes rudimentary terms and conditions such as sick pay, pension rights and over-time pay.
· Bring back staff and services in-house.
· Keep the LLW student campaign involved in decision making and for the transitional process to be transparent throughout.