Creation of a Tourist Police Division on The Commonwealth of Dominica
We the undersigned are petitioning for the creation of a TOURIST POLICE team dedicated to assist and to render service to foreign and domestic short and long term visitors to The Commonwealth of Dominica.
The Tourist Police Division's main missions: are to help, service, and provide safety and security to both foreign and domestic tourists.
The Division collaborates with concerned organizations of both the government and private sectors in order to strengthen the tourist industry of Dominica.
Tourist Assistance Centers (TACs) to be located at Melville Airport, Indian River Portsmouth and Central Roseau where the police could immediately give appropriate security and related public safety services to both foreign and local tourists.
It is essential that these TAC’s are enabled to file a crime report and also to give the visitor a copy with a reference number for easy retrieval of data.
• Tourist Police to be always in contact with travel agencies, hotels, airlines, bus and taxi companies to help tourists find any information they may need.
• Tourist Police should be easily identified by their uniforms, as well as the TOURIST POLICE patch worn on their arm sleeve.
• They are contactable by phone at any time, seven days a week.
• Their job is to offer assistance and help, free of charge, and to advise on all relevant tourist information visitors might need, including where to find hotels, consulates or embassies, hospitals, drugstores, restaurants and other resources.
• Carry free maps
• Bi-lingual. At least French should be spoken.
• Tourist Police must be trained to be sympathetic, willingly cooperative and dedicated.
• The Tourist Police help increase a country's image in the eyes of tourists.
As a growing tourist destination a tourist police force would be of great benefit and a valuable addition to the Dominica tourist product.
All destinations have crime. It is how timely, professional and sympathetically these reports are dealt with and followed up can greatly alter the experience for the victim. Lets offer all our visitors the very best of our famous Dominican hospitality at all times especially when in times of trouble.