Support the Arabic Language at Washburn!
Washburn offers only two foreign languages, French and Spanish. Help advocate for an Arabic program at Washburn.
A few of the reasons why this is important:
· Within MPS, Washburn offers the second fewest languages. Smaller schools such as Henry, Edison, and Roosevelt all offer more than 2 languages. South offers 8 languages, including Arabic.
· Existing Arabic programs at Lyndale and Ramsey offer a pathway for students pursuing this language. The languages taught at other feeder community middle schools are offered at Washburn.
· The absence of an Arabic program at Washburn limits the ability of Ramsey’s Arabic students to earn the IB diploma. (It is still possible, but the categories for earning the diploma are fewer.)
· Arabic is 6th among the world languages.
· Arabic is offered at 4 four colleges in the metro area, including Macalester and the University of Minnesota. Many top colleges and universities around the country offer Arabic.
· Students pursuing Arabic in college are eligible for certain scholarships.
· The Somali community has expressed the desire to have Arabic programs for their students.