Stop on Red - Take the Pledge To Drive Safe Around Light Rail
ABOUT THIS PETITION
At any time of the day or night in Phoenix, Tempe or Mesa, you can find yourself driving near a METRO train consisting of one, two or three vehicles. Each vehicle is 90 feet long and weighs 100,000 pounds. Every day, each train intersects 148 intersections and makes 225 trips. Obeying your traffic signals is key to safely sharing the road with light rail.
Most collisions between light rail and motor vehicles are caused by cars crossing the tracks against a red light or arrow. Running a red signal can result in fines, traffic school, driving suspension or injury.
This Stop on Red pledge was created to encourage good driving behavior around light rail and help reduce traffic violations, collisions and chances for injury. Sign this pledge and commit to safe driving behaviors.
- I will obey traffic signals.
- I will stop on red lights or arrows.
- I will not accelerate through a yellow light or arrow.
- I will not try to beat the train through an intersection.
- I will not allow myself to be distracted while driving.
- I will not take chances and risk the safety of myself and others.
WHY THIS PETITION IS IMPORTANT
If you think you are not taking a risk when running a red light, you are wrong. Each year in the United States, red light running results in nearly 200,000 crashes, more than 800 deaths and 180,000 injuries. According to the Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance, every five minutes in Arizona, a driver runs a red light during rush hour and one in 14 are involved in a red light running accident. You are actually more likely to be injured in a red light running related accident than any other type of accident.
Laws or signs alone do not change driving behavior. We all need to be accountable for our driving habits. You have our commitment as a transit agency that we will continue to place safety as a priority and educate drivers of all ages and from all parts of the Valley.
Join our movement and encourage others to take part to put an end to unsafe driving behavior around light rail. Take the pledge. Stop on red!
To increase safety around light rail and reduce the amount of traffic violations, collisions and chances for injury, I pledge to obey all traffic signals and stop on red. I will act upon my pledge immediately and consistently. I will also share the importance of stopping on red with my friends, colleagues and family.
My actions will include:
- Signing this petition;
- Asking my friends and family to sign it also;
- Obeying all traffic signals, especially red lights or arrows;
- Remaining aware while driving;
- Never stopping or parking my car on the tracks;
- Never trying to beat the train through an intersection;
- Helping to educate others on the dangers of unsafe driving around light rail.