show your support to elect Billy Kurz to NorCal Lacrosse Hall of Fame
- Billy Kurz nomination for NorCAL Lacrosse Hall of Fame.
About a week ago, I saw an email asking about nominations for the NorCal Lacrosse Hall of Fame. It got me thinking. Who is the most deserving person I know who should be recognized?
My first thought was if there is any question about who has been a champion of lacrosse in Northern California, it is Bill Kurz. He has done it for all the right reasons: his love of the game and his desire to see others enjoy it as much as he has.
Please see the criteria below for nominating a “Champion of the Game”. Billy meets the criteria as a player, coach and developer/administrator.
Champion of the Game
Goal of the NorCal Chapter Lacrosse Hall of Fame Selection Process
as adopted from US Lacrosse:
"To select the absolute best of the best, within the context of an individual's era of participation".
Minimum Criteria for Men and Women
To be eligible in this category all nominees:
- Must be at least 15 years active with the sport of lacrosse in one or more capacities (does not need to be consecutive, and can include participation in one or more categories).
- Must be retired from playing the game for at least five years OR must have had at least five years lapse from a scheduled college graduation year and be retired* from the game
- Note: College attendance is not a prerequisite for consideration
- Must be at least five years retired* or at least fifteen years as an active official/umpire
- Must have character beyond reproach
- Character Beyond Reproach
The following are possible areas of evaluation used to determine Character Beyond Reproach:
- Practice and perpetuation of positive sportsmanship on and off the field
- Positive relations with peers, opponents, subordinates and supervisors within the game
- Service within lacrosse development initiatives
- Graduation rate (coaches), where applicable
- Service and honors within civic, community and military community
- Lack of known conviction of any crimes/felonies.
- Character Beyond Reproach
- Nominee signature required at end of application
*retired = not participating at the level of play for which nominee is being evaluated for induction
Accomplishment Criteria for Men and Women
To be eligible in this category all nominees must have achieved a combined total of at least fifteen years as an active “champion” of the game in one or more of the following categories:
Billy grew up just south of Syracuse with a bunch of lacrosse loving guys. His friends and cousins who he played with as kids are now Syracuse University and MLL coaches.
When he moved to California in the early 1980’s he promptly took over responsibility for the Palo Alto Lacrosse club and has continued ever since to dedicate himself to growing the game.
As a player, he was recognized by the club league as:
1993, 1994, 1995 and 1997 (4 time) Northern California Lacrosse All-Star at attack
1993 – Outstanding Attackman
1985 - Team MVP
1985 – Lead NCLA League in scoring
1987 - Outstanding Contributor
As a coach, he has jumped in to help both college programs and high school programs who required someone willing to devote the time, energy and expertise needed to make their programs successful.
As a developer of the game, he helped found youth programs starting in 1990 and has served on many lacrosse development boards.
Below is a list of his involvement with lacrosse in Northern California:
33 years of coaching experience
12 years as assistant varsity coach Santa Clara University
13 years as varsity boys high school coach
Founder of Tomahawks high school lacrosse club
Co-founder of Santa Clara men’s lacrosse club
Co-founder of South Bay Crusaders youth lacrosse club
President of Palo Alto Men’s lacrosse club
5 years as board member of the Northern California Lacrosse Association (Men’s club league)
9 year as Board Member of the Northern California Junior Lacrosse Association (youth/high school league)
Director/Founder of the Northern California Junior Lacrosse High School Jamboree
2003 NCJLA Varsity Coach of the year
2003 US Lacrosse Northern California - Varsity Coach of the year
2005 Northern California Junior Lacrosse League Man of the Year
2005 Northern California Junior Lacrosse High School Boys Commissioner
2008 – Junior B Boys Lacrosse Northern California Junior Lacrosse (Bronze metal) for 3rd place
2009 – Junior Varsity Boys Lacrosse Northern California Junior Lacrosse (Bronze medal) for 3rd place
3 Time Recipient – The United States President’s Volunteer Service Award (USA Freedom Corps)
Positive Coaching Alliance – Double-Goal Coach
Please let the NorCal Hall of Fame know that you support the nomination of Billy by joining the petition for him on ipetition.com.