Save The Vivekananda Ashrama Brickfields
59 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
59 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
We, the undersigned protest, object, and the proposed material change in the development and use of the building known as:
The Vivekananda Ashrama
located atNo. 220, Jalan Tun Sambanthan, 50470 Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur,constructed onLot 33 72 GRN 50406, and/or Lot 347 Seksyen 72 GRN 12369 ("the Building/Site").
Owned byThe Vivekananda Ashrama, a company limited by Guarantee;
by the proposed development of a 23 storey residential building behind with an eight storey parking podium and above the existing Building ("the Proposed Development") for the following reasons;
1. The Proposed Development affects the external appearance of the Building and Site; and intends a significant increase in height, floor space, and density of the Building and Site;
2. The Proposed Development is intended for use or purposes other than its current object and purpose;
3. The Vivekananda Ahsrama is a Site and Building of significant cultural heritage for Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia with a historic, social and spiritual value; and of special architectural and historic significance.
4. The Building and Site are intended for, and used as, a focal point of higher learning, cultural development and spiritual growth.
5. The Building and Site are in integral part of the history of Kuala Lumpur. The Building and Site reflect the country's pioneers' efforts at nation building and patriotism, which continues to be fostered through the memory of such efforts;
6. Two Notices of Intention to Designate Site as Heritage Site was gazetted by the Commissioner of Heritage on 23 December 2009 and 9 October 2008 in respect of the Building and Site. The Building and Site are identified in the draft Kuala Lumpur City Plan 2020 - Towards a World Class City as a Category 2 National Heritage Site.
We oppose the Proposed Development in it's current form and ask that any development on the Site respect and preserve the cultural and architectural integrity of the Building and Site; and should only be permitted if it does not compromise the significant, aesthetic value and appeal in any way whatsoever of the Building and Site.
We nominate the Site and Building to be designated and declared a National Heritage Site as a tangible cultural heritage; to be preserved, conserved, protected, and maintained in its present form and for its purpose as intended in or about 1904.
We seek that an Interim Protection Order (in accordance with Section 33, Akta Warisan Kebangsaan 2005) be issued to preserve the current status of the Building and Site, until further consultation is conducted with all skilled and interested parties.
Save The Vivekanada Ashrama Brickfields Action Committee