Racist Freeport Teacher Termination
Community members and activist are demanding the firing of the teacher involved in the racist slavery class assignment at John W. Dodd Middle School in Freeport, NY.Due to the teachers insensitive and racist assignment to "write something funny" underneath images of slaves during the reconstruction era, we are demanding:
- She is removed from all classrooms
- She is terminated without pay
- Hire more teachers of color
- Statewide: Racism, Antisemitism, Islamophobia, and Homophobia should be a cause for firing in all public jobs
- There should be a set curriculum and outline for lessons dealing with ethnic and cultural history lessons
- All teachers including new hires should receive cultural sensitivity training
- The state expands on the New York State law regarding racist nooses and swastikas that states “aggravated harassment in the first degree is a class e felony.” It should include all incidents around hate: Racism, Antisemitism, Islamophobia, and Homophobia.
An apology is not enough. We will not tolerate traumatizing students by making fun of their race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.
It is the moral responsibility and obligation of educators to create a safe environment for all students where everyone feels nurtured. Actions that the teacher apologized for go against the mission and purpose of public schooling where all students should be taught revere for those who endured tragedy in history, not make fun or light of it.
Please stand with us and sign this petition.