Protect Post Office Creek Reserve
NOTE: the Donation page goes to iPetitions, not Friends of Post Office Creek.
The petition of citizens of the Macedon Ranges and the State of Victoria draws to the attention of the Council:
The the following sections from the Kyneton Structure Plan:
- Secure areas of open space through the planning process around the Campaspe River corridor and Post Office Creek to link areas of public open space and provide environmental corridors;
- The rural landscapes and key streetscapes are key heritage aspects that add to the character of Kyneton. They contribute to its sense of place and identity whilst also supporting economic activity through tourism;
- Strengthen town character - pursue heritage protection in the planning scheme over any unprotected, recognised heritage assets;
- Current and expected growth in tourism is also seen as a vital driver of economic growth within the Kyneton township. Tourism related industries such as accommodation, hospitality, food and wine are encouraged.
The purpose of the proposed motion is to enable the Council to either vountarily or compulsorily acquire and protect this important gateway to Kyneton and to extend the recently created reserve along Post Office Creek to include the whole area bounded by the freeway, Pipers Creek Road, and Edgecombe Road.
This petition promotes:
- The potential of an expanded Post Office Creek Reserve to create of an appealing northern gateway into Kyneton. The two themes of dry blue stone walling and restoration of habitat could symbolise the drawing together of Kyneton's recent Victorian tradition and our sixty thousand year indigenous past.
- In collaboration with Indigenous representatives, the community and local council, the creation of a master plan for the restoration of habitat along the creek and in the reserve. Reintroduce indigenous flora and fauna and especially platypus(now endangered in Victoria). Utilise the valuable long term potential of this waterway to expand habitat and heal landscape.
- The creation of a walking and bike trail to connect the township of Kyneton with Bald Hill and Black Hill Reserves initially along the creek.
- The concept of open fencing to allow for the free movement of native fauna across surrounding wildlife corridors and especially those connecting with Bald Hill Reserve.
- Initiatives like conservation and art projects along the creek in collaboration with: local council; community, philanthropic and conservation groups.
The petitioners therefore request that the Macedon Ranges Council pass a motion to:
- Negotiate the purchase of the parcel of land bounded by Pipers Creek Road, Edgecombe Road and the Calder Freeway from the owner.
- If negotiations with the owner to purchase the land are unsuccessful, Council's intention to buy the land can then trigger an application for a Public Acquisition Overlay as a planning scheme amendment to the same parcel of land.