Petition to Sutherland Shire Council to review the current laws with respect to recreational beach access for dogs and horses in Kurnell.
SUTHERLAND COUNCIL HAS DECLINED SUBMISSIONS MADE BY INTERESTED PARTIES, REQUESTING USE OF THE BEACH AREAS FOR DOGS AND HORSES - WE NEED YOU TO RESIGN THIS PETITION AND SPREAD THE WORD FAR AND WIDE. WITH THE LACK OF RECREATIONAL OPEN SPACES FOR ANIMAL LOVERS AND THE CONSTANT INCREASE IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE SHIRE, RATEPAYERS AND VISITORS SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO USE LOCAL FACILITIES EVEN IF SOME RESTRICTIONS TO THE TIMES OF USE ARE IN PLACE!
- Access to other recreational open spaces where dogs/horses can be enjoyed/exercised have been significantly reduced due to development in other areas of The Shire.
- Many other sporting/recreational activities are catered for in The Shire, however for the exercising of dogs/riding of horses the facilities currently available are already extremely limited.
- For the mental health and general welfare of dogs/horses it is imperative that they are able to be exercised on a regular basis.
- Our hot summers mean that dogs/horses need regular relief from extreme heat.
- More than 40% of Australians own a dog, and 85% of us live within 50kms of a beach. It therefore makes sense that the beach areas are easiest to access for most people.
- The Shire prides itself on excellence in sports and there have been many local residents who have excelled in Equestrian sports as a result of being able to exercise their horses in and around Kurnell. Kurnell Boarding Stables finds it difficult to keep up with demand for housing horses due to the popularity of horse ownership.
- Kurnell is a unique village with horses being part of the heritage of the area.
- Many new residents are drawn to the area due to fact that there are horses in Kurnell and that the village is pet friendly.
- There are many occasions when Kurnell beach is deserted.
- The use of the beach for the exercising of dogs and horses has been deemed acceptable, without fine, for many years up until recently, regardless of signage.
- The existence of the relaxed, animal friendly atmosphere in Kurnell actually increases property values.
- The existence of the relaxed, animal friendly atmosphere also attracts additional visitors to the area and generates additional income for local businesses.
- The locale has always enjoyed a family friendly environment, particularly in summer where it’s common for families to enjoy the beach swimming with their dogs & horses. Pets are part of the family.
- Kurnell is the Birthplace of Modern Australia – let’s keep it’s existing and long standing character and charm intact!
We, the undersigned, would like to see some amendments to the current laws with the aim to potentially relax some of the current restrictions so that we can continue to enjoy a truly unique lifestyle.