Oppose Water Reservoir 2020
We respectfully request the Lake County Board eliminate Carriage Green Park on Grosse Pointe Circle as a location for a water reservoir and booster pump station.
On May 25, 2018, Lake County Board Chair Aaron Lawlor sent an email committing to residents that Carriage Green Park was eliminated as an option for the proposed Vernon Hills water reservoir and booster pump station. We were, therefore, shocked to discover that two years later, Lake County Public Works is again considering the Carriage Green Park site for locating a water reservoir.
- We believe that the location of a large concrete water reservoir (measuring 100 feet in diameter and 34 feet high, extending about 10 feet above ground) and a 50’ x 35’ booster pump station in a park is not appropriate.
- It will be better suited to an area such as a business park, office park or “hard scape” location and such areas already exist in the Village of Vernon Hills. Additional land purchases could also be considered by Lake County Public Works for this structure.
- Carriage Green Park is already a very small park and the proposed structure would significantly diminish the size, nature and beauty of this park as well as eliminate a natural sanctuary for butterflies and pollinators and require the removal of about 8-10 large, mature trees. It would also impact the design flow and overall aesthetics of the park. This park is highly utilized by families with children, dogs, and fitness enthusiasts. The park abuts two residential neighborhoods and a retirement home, and the proposed location is highly visible from the main thoroughfare of Route 45.
- The park district is adamantly opposed to this location as is the Village.
- We believe the proposed water reservoir and booster pump station would reduce property values of the residential neighborhoods.
We, the undersigned, do not feel this water reservoir is consistent with Lake County’s vision to be “…a place where all people, families, and businesses have the opportunity to thrive…”because it would reduce park space, eliminate a natural sanctuary, result in removal of healthy mature trees, and have a negative effect on the design flow and aesthetics of the park. We also believe it will reduce property values of the residential neighborhoods.
That’s why I signed this petition to the Lake County Board including Chair Sandy Hart, Julie Simpson, Linda Pedersen, Diane Hewitt, Dick Barr, Brent Paxton, Judy Martini, John Wasik, Steve Carlson, Bill Durkin, Mary Ross-Cunningham, Jessica Vealitzek, Paul Frank, S. Michael Rummel, Angelo D. Kyle, Jennifer Clark, Terry Wilke, Michael Danforth, Craig Taylor, Marah Altenberg and Ann Maine that says:
“We believe that the construction of a water reservoir and booster pump station in Carriage Green Park is not a suitable fit. We respectfully request that the Lake County Board eliminate Carriage Green Park as a location for a water reservoir and booster pump station. ”