Oatlands Shop Alcohol
Objection to Application for Premises Licence No. GC2267 (Block 1, 29-31 Elmfoot Grove).
Alcohol can unquestionably cause harm to individuals and society. Criminalisation of alcohol would cause crimes committed by the illicit trade, but it would address the harms associated with alcohol dependence and the misery that this can cause to families.
Scientific evidence shows alcohol is a harmful substance that can damage human health and creates harm to individuals and communities. Evidence from the ACMD is that the use of alcohol is a significant public health issue. We must make it illegal to produce, buy and sell this dangerous intoxicant
There are lot of reasons for objection, but some reasons are mentioned below.
1. Once licence is granted, it wont be easy to be revoked.
2. In case of any incident, the shopkeeper will only have to prove that he did not serve any under-ager.
3. But many kids contribute money and then try to find someone who could buy a bottle for them. They sometimes even offer extra money to folks who could buy them a drink or cigarettes.
4. Vodka could be easily mixed up with any drink and could be easily held in a bottle / can of coke or any juice. Cheap ciders and mainly buckfast are the main cause of bother as they give instant kick.
5. It is quite easy to catch the bad habits however then changing it is a big task for the parents and especially if they have another wee one to look after. (For eg., young age smoking habits)
6. Already last summer our children and their friends have noticed young crowd coming in the park and every sentence they uttered / used offensive language in it. This is not any parent would wish for their children to learn.
7. Also after the Polmadie bridge opens up, you would be having more crowd coming to take their chances.
8. All what could happen is Police will be on the round every single day, parents will no longer be having a peace of mind for when their children in the park with their friends or even think twice before using the park anymore.
9. It could also result in families not coming into this area to buy homes or stay in rental basis (in case it becomes a trouble zone) and would in-turn reduce your property / rental value.
10. Yes, most of us are matured and would not involve or encourage above said things, but who would be able to stop the out-siders and who would be keeping an eye on them all time.
11. If at all any incident takes place and if police is notified the young once are always quick enough to run away or find their way out quickly before the cops are at the scene.