Lets Make A Stand Now! Let Our Students Dance Without Making Them Play An Instrument!
We are writing this petition to encourage the band director and Greenville High School to change the policy regarding the requirements for students to try out for the band front. Currently, students must be a member of the concert band to be in the band front. It is our understanding that it is going to be changed to being a member of the marching band for a year. We are requesting that the requirement to play an instrument be removed. Our reasons for this request are listed below:
* Upon contact with the following school districts: Reynolds, Sharpsville, Sharon, and West Middlesex, it was found that there was no requirement to be in the band in order to be in the band front.
* The band would be larger during performances. Once students fulfill their requirement of their one year participation in the marching band, they will then leave to join the band front, minimizing the number of students in the marching band.
* Greenville High School prides itself on offering college electives to students. Those students who would choose to take many of those electives lose the opportunity because they have to take band when their actual choice is just band front. Therefore, one of their electives is taken up with band.
* Greenville High School should offer extra- curricular opportunities for all venues and interests. What opportunities are available for students who have danced from a young age and want to explore that opportunity at GHS? There is nothing for them but band front. That is what they are interested in – not band. To require them to be in band would be like asking a cheerleader to also be part of the football team.
* By requiring students to be part of band to be a dancer when they don’t necessarily have an interest in the band, discourages them from participating. More students would participate if they weren’t forced to participate in something they didn’t want to do. Don’t we want to encourage students to be active in our extra-curricular activities and be well rounded students?
* Why have these recent changes been made?
Please reconsider the requirements for the band front being part of the band. We want to encourage participation in activities and have Renaissance children, not discourage them. Thank you.