Petition to Require Zoning Rules for Industrial Solar in Lansing
Dear Town of Lansing Planning Board,
It’s our understanding, the undersigned, that industrial scale solar is being planned for the Town of Lansing. We support solar power, but are concerned about the size of these solar projects and believe more rules should be in place before these projects, some between 800 and 2000 acres of contiguous land, go ahead. We understand that the state will control much of the regulation regarding these powerplants, however, we believe the town needs to enact regulations pertaining to these arrays that will cover millions of square feet, including prime farmland. While we may prefer these installations not be built, we at least want the town to mitigate the negative impacts on adjacent properties and to the overall look of the Town of Lansing.
We would like the planning board to consider:
- Residents within 1,500 feet of a property line of an agriculturally-zoned parcel that is being optioned for lease or leased for a purpose other than agriculture be notified of the lease or option to lease.
- That industrial solar array projects covering over 25 acres be required to set aside 20 percent or more of the land for pollinators.
- That these projects will be set back from existing residences by 1000 feet or more.
- That vegetation buffers be planted between these projects and residences, businesses, and streets and that berms be installed where appropriate.
- That wildlife corridors be installed through these contiguous acres.
- That the land these solar projects will cover have the opportunity to be co-leased for agricultural purposes similar to how the land under many wind mills and cell phone towers is treated.
- Farmland that’s received an agriculture tax exemption in the past 10 years should be avoided when possible.
These regulations would address our immediate concerns and, in the future, we’d like the planning board to consider that land zoned for agricultural purposes and planned or proposed to be used primarily for purposes other than agriculture must apply for rezoning that conforms with the new purpose.
Thank you for your consideration in regards to industrial scale, more than 25 contiguous acres. We love Lansing as we know you do and while we understand there will be change, we also understand the scale of what’s being proposed and how it will forever change the look of the town.