Keep The Petersburg Amtrak Station in Ettrick
KEEP THE PETERSBURG AMTRAK STATION IN ETTRICK!!!
SIGN the Petition!
A new Amtrak Station is planned for construction and
Ettrick is the most appropriate location!
Consider Environmental issues, Socioeconomics, and Educational access that justify the reasons the station should stay in Ettrick.
- The current Ettrick site has no environmental constraints. However, according to the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) the FRA’s Preferred Alternative in Colonial Heights is on a 100-year floodplain.
- Protect the Chesapeake Bay watershed, James River, Appomattox River, and Old Town Creek by leaving the train station in Ettrick.
- The Ettrick site is located in a predominantly minority community where Chesterfield County has plans and funding for area-wide revitalization and economic development.
- The Ettrick community is served by bus via Petersburg Area Transit (the FRA’s Colonial Heights site is not).
- The closure of the Ettrick station would negatively impact those populations and businesses currently in Ettrick.
- The current station meets all federal requirements with no to minimal additional cost.
- The Ettrick site is walking distance (less than half a mile) from the historically significant, 136 year-old, Virginia State University (approximate enrollment of 4,600). The Ettrick station has served thousands of students and citizens for countless generations.
- VSU serves the entire small business and farming community of Virginia who come to the campus for seminars and courses that improves profitability.
- The current station in Ettrick is accessible to VSUs new Multi-Purpose Center.