Skip to main content
Implement Necessary Security Changes at Main Line ECE

Implement Necessary Security Changes at Main Line ECE

49 signatures 1 to reach 50
R
Rachel S. signed
M
Malcolm D. signed
R
Rebecca V. signed
B
Barb S. signed
L
Liat S. signed
J
Jeff S. signed
D
David R. signed
P
Paul L. signed
M
Marti F. signed
R
Rebecca F. signed
LL
Started by Lauren Lipowicz 12 years, 1 month ago


This letter is being initiated due to our concern, as parents, for our children's security and safety when they are at school/camp at Main Line Reform Temple. After the tragic disaster that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School last year, security meetings/updates took place at MLRT but the outcome was unsatisfactory and unacceptable. We have all heard that the Rabbi likes an “open door” policy at his synagogue, but unfortunately in today’s society that can not happen without opening up the doors to possible tragedy and misfortune. We are not willing to wait for tragedy to occur at our children’s school in order for change and action to take place. We need to do something now to act and prevent these horrible things from ever happening at our school/synagogue. We know that you say the only access to the pre-school is through the downstairs office, however, there have been multiple times that Carole’s office door is not locked and anyone can walk right into the office. In addition, our children are always moved around the synagogue to areas that have zero security and give anyone access to them. From the main synagogue/chapel for Shabbat services, to the circular room downstairs and to the lobby where they wait for pick up. We have all witnessed people who walk into MLRT and are not stopped by the office to the left that can walk around and have access anywhere they want. Not only does this policy and lack of security threaten the safety of our children, but it doesn’t even meet the security standards of all other synagogues/pre-schools in the area. It is important to be on the same page and have similar safety measures in place.


We love MLRT and want our children and families to grow there, however we need to know that change is going to take place. Enough is enough. The main doors should always be locked and there should be video surveillance as well as a buzzer where everyone must identify themselves and give reason for their visit. This is not asking much and it can possibly save us from tragic disasters that occurred in places that have been unimaginable. We are sure that the parents of the victims at Sandy Hook Elementary believed that their babies were safe while at school. That was not the case. We are not willing to have the same thing happen to our children.

Below you will see the names of parents that support this cause and demand change. Please hear our voices and do the right thing so that we can continue to love and grow at MLRT.


Thank you

Updates

June 30, 2014

The momentum behind this petition is undeniable and reflects a shared commitment to the safety of our children. This progress reinforces the necessity of our request for improved security protocols at the school.

7 Comments

D
David Saleh
12 years ago Featured

Enough is enough. FIX THE LOCKS.

J
Jessica Oliver
12 years ago Featured

My son told me he was playing in the hall near the chapel and nobody was watching the doors. This is a huge risk and needs to stop.

M
Mike Sharpe
12 years ago Featured

The open door policy is just outdated. We need actual security guards at the front during the day. It is way too easy to just walk in.

S
Sarah Das
12 years ago Featured

I drop my kid off every morning and the lobby is always wide open. No one even asks who I am. Really scary.

T
Teachersunite Teachersunite
12 years ago Featured

I'm a teacher anonymously telling you that we do not lock office or classroom doors. We go to the circular, sanctuary, Orleans...and not one of them are locked. Teachers have tried to change this, but we are told it is out of our directors hands. We have been shut up and shut down when this subject was approached last year.

T
The Facts
12 years ago Featured

The security features implemented over a year ago were not continued last year. The office door was open and never locked. Teachers no longer had to lock their classroom doors. The doors to the gym and lounge are NOT locked and have not been all year.

M
Melissa Johnson
12 years ago

Just a note to all signing and considering this petition: I am the Executive Director of Main Line Reform Temple. Rabbi Straus, Missy Horrow and I welcome any one who wishes to discuss MLRT security to meet with us at any time. We have always been willing to discuss concerns and have made many changes to MLRT's security practices over time based upon parent concerns. There are many factual inaccuracies in this petition and no one who has signed this letter has ever contacted my office to discuss these issues. Protecting our children and all who enter our doors is something that we all take seriously and make a priority every single day. We work with the Lower Merion Police Department, the ADL and the Philadelphia FBI to ensure that our security practices and procedures are robust. Security is something that everyone concerned should be working together to improve. If parents have concerns, I invite you to meet with me, Rabbi Straus and Missy Horrow to share them and to work with the Temple leadership to ensure that our children are safe and secure, and that our families are comfortable every day as they leave their children in our care. Rather than relying on imprecise and uni-directional demands of a petition, I invite you to consider a group meeting where caring and concerned members of our community can openly discuss these issues. I can be reached at [email protected] or 610-649-7800. Thank you for your consideration. MJ

Help this petition grow

Share it with friends to help reach 50 signatures.

Share Petition

Don't stop at signing, share the petition link with friends to multiply our impact

Copy link or share directly

Instagram
QR Code