GIS for Anthropology at UNM
12 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
12 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
UAS has been known to influence curriculum in the past. Let's see if we can do it again. If you would be interested in taking a Topics Undergraduate and Graduate Xlist course that covers GIS for Anthropology, please sign my petition.
1. Whereas geographical information systems (GIS) are a growing, viable tool for anthropological research.
2. Whereas UNM's Anthropology or Geography departments currently do not offer any class that teaches students how to use GIS for Anthropology.
3. Whereas the current Geoarchaeology course that UNM offers only covers geology as a sub-discipline of (specifically) Archaeology, and not geography as a sub-discipline of Anthropology, including all concentrations: Archaeology, Ethnology, and Biological Anthropology.
4. Whereas most field work now involves exposure to spatial theories and techniques and often raises questions on the human landscape
5. Whereas many other universities already provide courses in the theory and technology of Anthropological GIS.
*note* signing does not mean you would actually take the course, understanding that some students are graduating, some are not in the Anthropology program, etc.
UAS - Undergraduate Anthropology Society