Free lunches in ALL Baltimore County Schools
Most of the Baltimore County Communities are low income and most of the families do not qualify for free or reduced lunches. Parents working are struggling to keep up with the everyday expenses and are barely getting by. This would be a huge help to all children in the county regardless of income. There are great benefits of having the program in place.
1. Food insecurity or lack of nutritional foods has shown poor outcome in health and it shows in their academics.
2. Children being able to receive both meals (Breakfast and Lunch) will not have to be singled out because they are not able to afford lunch like their peers.
3. Children will have more time to eat lunch because there will not be time wasted checking balances on lunch cards and everyone is eating the same amount of food.
4. For some children the only time they get to eat is at school because of the lack of food at home.
5. Baltimore County students academics will improve.